On my current build (gcc-5, BLFS from 27th April) I've got a problem
with parole - on most of my local videos, it errors out with a
dialog:

 GStreamer backend error

 Could not initialise supporting library

That happens for most of my local videos (m4v, mkv, mov, mp4, wmv)
but noo0t for ogg/theora (I call those ogv, but there is no real
standard) nor avi.

I've now tried gst-play, looks like a libva problem (this is an AMD
so I built libva-1.7.0 but not libva-intel-driver).

ken@deluxe /sources/scripts/lfs-dev/git $gst-play-1.0
/mnt/av/video/my-movies/switzerland-2011/albula.mkv
Press 'k' to see a list of keyboard shortcuts.
Now playing /mnt/av/video/my-movies/switzerland-2011/albula.mkv
error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set in the environment.
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/gallium_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/gallium_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set in the environment.
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/gallium_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
ERROR Could not initialise supporting library. for
file:///mnt/av/video/my-movies/switzerland-2011/albula.mkv
ERROR debug information: gstvideodecoder.c(2582):
gst_video_decoder_change_state ():
/GstPlayBin:playbin/GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin0/GstDecodeBin:decodebin0/GstVaapiDecodeBin:vaapidecodebin0/GstVaapiDecode:vaapidecode:
Failed to open decoder
error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set in the environment.
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/gallium_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
Reached end of play list.

Does anyone have mp4 or similar working with current gstreamer ?
If so, are you using intel video, or alternatively did you build the
intel driver anyway ?

And do I need to export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR for general things when xorg
is in /usr ? That might be why pulse reported errors for me in kde.

I'm not sure if gst-play is actually useful, not even ogv files play
with it (they report an internal datastream error).

ĸen