Ken Moffat wrote:

Thanks for looking.  The specific problem is with parole and
gstreamer-vaapi : do you have both of those on your nvidia system,
and if so, does parole work on wmv, mp4, mov or mkv files ?

No, I haven't put xfce on the dev syste,

I've got an nvidia_drv_video.so, but not a nouveau version - it
looks suspiciously like the radeon problem (i.e. it initially
attempts to load a library that nobody has ever seen).

I only have nouveau_drv.so, not nvidia_drv_video.so. I do not have anything like *nvid*. Could it be a part of the proprietary driver -- just wondering?

  -- Bruce