On 12/02/2018 04:29 AM, DJ Lucas via blfs-dev wrote:

On 11/29/2018 11:40 AM, Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev wrote:
On 11/29/2018 09:54 AM, Douglas R. Reno via blfs-dev wrote:

On 11/26/18 7:59 AM, DJ Lucas via blfs-dev wrote:
On November 25, 2018 7:49:37 PM CST, Alain Toussaint via blfs-dev <blfs-dev@lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
Hello,

just FYI, dconf 0.30 now require a package named bash-completion for
which is found on github:

https://github.com/scop/bash-completion.git

but for which, debian and other distro package it out in tarball form
>from this git tree.
I used git clone -b 2.8 https://github.com/scop/bash-completion.git

to download and install

Alain

p.s. dconf itself is needed by gdm 3.30.2

E.F.A. Project, and is believed to be clean.

https://efa.lucasit.com/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id=39F3560361.A3EC5&token=dfd2734d93e66f138a5cea047471dcd5
https://github.com/scop/bash-completion/releases/download/2.8/bash-completion-2.8.tar.xz

But it did not used to be required. If it is now, it should be easy to circumvent.

--DJ

I don't see why we shouldn't add it. We have several packages that already put completions in there, systemd included. There are several "neutral" packages which do as well.

It seems to be a nice feature.

It should be optional.  Personally, I think all the bash completions get in the way.   If you do use it, then using 'set' to look at environment/local variables becomes difficult because the protocol adds over a thousand lines to the environment.  If you have bash completions enabled, look at what set|sort|less gives you.

To a certain point, bash completions (I'm not talking about filename completions) are a substitute for man pages. Since I always have at least two terminals open on my screen at any time, if I need to look up an option I just use man in the other other terminal.

I did not add it to the book, but simply added the bash-shell-startup-files wiki page and put instructions there along with a compatible bash_completions.sh file in the book. As to usability, yes, env output sucks, but command line completion can be nice. I use it for my svn-stash functions (the files are saved as . files with a .svnstash extension, tab and only the name is shown in the result, without the . or the svnstash extension, which allows named stashes (unlike for git)). It was really nice with gpg tonight, being that I actually use gpg from the command line about once every three years or so.

I really don't like this script.  I propose adding this note:

"Using the bash completion script below is controversial. Not all users like it. It adds many (usually over 1000) lines to the bash environment and makes it difficult to use the 'set' command to examine simple environment variables. Omitting this script does not interfere with the ability of bash to use the tab key for file name completion."

  -- Bruce