On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 11:11:23PM +0100, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:

> I've now completed a real "tuning" run of my experiment (i.e.
> specifying -falign-functions=32 -malign-data=cacheline because these
> have been said to be beneficial for haswell processors, which is
> what I have been using.

I've now completed the final runs of this set of tests.  The primary
focus was on using -O3 throughout, but then I backtracked and tried
detuning binutils and gcc back to -O2 (no benefit, everything
slower).

But along the way I decided that I needed more runtime tests.  The
source for those is now included (although not media files which I
cannot share).

When using -O3, there are additional failures in ld's tests because
what the testsuite is looking for has been optimized out.  There
was also an intermittent failure in coreutils : I think this is down
to a race.  Beyond that, -O3 is generally beneficial, although not
by much.

For texlive, it appears that using -O2 instead of -O3 leads to
faster builds (including the testsuite) and to slightly faster runs
of traditional latex.

And for rust I conclude that there is no practical difference
between optimization levels of 2 and 3.

Details in http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ken/tuning/

There is a *lot* of runtime variation when running repeated tests,
and ostensibly similar-or-slower builds can be faster.  This makes
me think that ALL runtime test results on non-rt linux should be
treated with suspicion!

But for me, on a desktop using the cheap hardening options,
-march=native (with the proviso that such as system can only build
for upward-compaible machines) and mostly -O3 seems the way to go.

ĸen
--
One pill makes you larger, And one pill makes you small.
And the ones that mother gives you, Don't do anything at all.