On 8/4/19 6:17 PM, Douglas R. Reno via blfs-dev wrote:

I'd like to start a discussion here on reverting Pango.

As noted in the comments section here, this version of Pango drops support for bitmap fonts:

https://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2019/07/27/more-text-rendering-updates/

This causes terminal emulators to display empty boxes in double-width spaces, as just one example. In addition, there are countless rendering bugs here:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/pango/issues

The developers are also recommending an unreleased version of Cairo to fix "rendering issues" in some of those issues. I don't think we want that.

I'm most definitely sure that removing Python support from GIMP is NOT the way to go. Note that there is a bug here for moving to PyGObject from PyGTK, but little to no progress:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/339

I propose that we revert Pango to 1.42.x from 1.44.3 because of their dropping of bitmap font support, recommendation to use an unstable cairo, problems with PyGTK, and rendering issues.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/pango/issues/386

I forgot to add that in - Type1 fonts in GTK+2 are affected as well.

I will revert to pango-1.42.4 tomorrow unless there are objections. We are a little less than two weeks away from package freeze for the next release and it doesn't look like this will get resolved before then.

  -- Bruce