On 2020-03-26 23:22 +0000, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 10:57:03PM +0100, Pierre Labastie via blfs-dev wrote:
>
> (asking about only one item)
> > > If you do not do this, configuring will fail with a python traceback
> > > report referencing a /usr/lib/pythonN.N/multiprocessing/synchronize.py
> > > file and ending 'OSError: [Errno 38] Function not implemented'.
> > > (this explanation possibly in italics, i.e. emphasis, except for the
> > > filename markup)
> >
> > As the starter of this thread, I do not see exactly this error, but rather:
> >
> > File "/usr/lib/python2.7/multiprocessing/synchronize.py", line 59, in
> > <module>
> >     " function, see issue 3770.")
> > ImportError: This platform lacks a functioning sem_open implementation,
> > therefore, the required synchronization primitives needed will not function,
> > see issue 3770.

from tmpfs (5):

>        A tmpfs filesystem mounted at /dev/shm is used for  the  implementation
>        of   POSIX   shared   memory  (shm_overview(7))  and  POSIX  semaphores
>        (sem_overview(7)).

In kernel doc (Documentation/filesystems/tmpfs.txt):

> 2) glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
>    POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink). Adding the following
>    line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:
>
>     tmpfs   /dev/shm    tmpfs   defaults    0 0
>
>    Remember to create the directory that you intend to mount tmpfs on
>    if necessary.
>
>    This mount is _not_ needed for SYSV shared memory. The internal
>    mount is used for that. (In the 2.3 kernel versions it was
>    necessary to mount the predecessor of tmpfs (shm fs) to use SYSV
>    shared memory)

So I think we should mount a tmpfs to /dev/shm, anyway.

In lfs-systemd it's automatically done by systemd.  In lfs-sysv book the
mountvirtfs bootscript makes /run/shm and link it to /dev/shm.  I think it's a
"hack" which is deprecated, and shall be replaced with a line mounting a tmpfs
to /dev/shm, in /etc/fstab.

--
Xi Ruoyao <xry...@mengyan1223.wang>