On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 08:26:39PM +0100, Pierre Labastie via
blfs-dev wrote:
> On Fri, 2020-03-27 at 17:59 +0000, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 06:34:17PM +0100, Pierre Labastie via
> > blfs- dev wrote:
> > > On Fri, 2020-03-27 at 16:02 +0000, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > Sorry for arguing again. The problem is that SHELL needs to be
> > > _exported_. It can be set to /bin/bash without problem. And
> > > for me, it is not exported for _root_ after entering chroot
> > > (but it is set): ---- root [ / ]# echo $SHELL /bin/bash root [
> > > / ]# env | grep SHELL root [ / ]# ---- Now when doing su -
> > > <user> ---- pierre [ ~ ]$ echo $SHELL /bin/bash pierre [ ~ ]$
> > > env | grep SHELL SHELL=/bin/bash pierre [ ~ ]$ ---- So no need
> > > to set/export anything as a user. And SHELL only needs to be
> > > exported as root.  Pierre
> > >

> > I'm puzzled by that - if it is not set, the configure breaks.
> > Does SHELL also get queried when root is running the install ?
> >

> When it is set, but not exported, it's not set in ./wmach, so not
> found...  So I'd just suggest something like: Second, you should
> ensure that the SHELL variable is set and exported to the
> environment, possibly by prepending SHELL=<your shell> to the
> .mach command.
>
> Pierre

I see you are moving away from saying /bin/sh which we have in the
current firefox note.  Are you using dash or zsh on the quiet ?
(joke/).  I can see we don't accomodate tcsh (setenv SHELL /bin/tcsh
or similar) and certainly not fish (env SHELL=/usr/bin/fish command
- I guess).

Maybe:

"Second, you should ensure that the SHELL environment variable is
set to point to your shell and exported (e.g. for the common case
using bash, export SHELL=/bin/sh) or alternatively prepend
SHELL=<your shell> when compiling."

But my 'when compiling' can still be misinterpreted - although
firefox and thunderbird use ./mach, seamonkey uses the old make -f
client.mk and both versions of JS use ../js/src/configure.  I picked
the word compiling because we tend to say 'Compile <name> by running
the following command(s).'

And I would really like to use a common xincludes for all the
affected mozilla packages. Perhaps three versions (for mach,
client.mk, js/configure) is the only way to be accurate.

ĸen
--
When alle is ſayed and all is done, ye must chooſe your faces wisely,
for soon enouff ye will be playing with fyre."