On 4/3/20 11:00 AM, Pierre Labastie via blfs-dev wrote:
On Fri, 2020-04-03 at 09:56 +0200, Tim Tassonis via blfs-dev wrote:
Hi all

I'm about to give the new dhcpcd 9.0.0 a go, which has quite an
important change: it does privilege separation now.

This means that an unprivileged user has to be created and that user
needs to have access to /var/lib/dhcpcd

I thought of doing something similar to openssh:

install  -v -m700 -d /var/lib/dhcpcd

groupadd -g 50 dhcpcd        &&
useradd  -c 'dhcpcd PrivSep' \
           -d /var/lib/dhcpcd  \
           -g dhcpcd           \
           -s /bin/false     \
           -u 50 dhcpcd

chown dhcpcd:dhcpcd /var/lib/dhcpcd

Now, the question is: what uid and gid shall I use? 50 as above is
taken
by openssh, so what number shall we reserve for dhcpcd?

Bye
Tim

First, you may try to look at what other distros do for the uid/gid,
but whatever your choice, have a look at the "About System Users and
Groups" page, and add the id's there (after verifying it does not
clash, I guess you'd thought of that :).

Ok, I went for 52, will update the page when I'm done.