On Sat, Apr 04, 2020 at 07:41:45PM +0100, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 04, 2020 at 12:54:57PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev wrote:
> > On 4/4/20 12:15 PM, Ken Moffat via blfs-book wrote:
> > > >
> > > [ Cc: -dev added ]
> > >
> > > I left it open because I hope there is some better way of keepign
> > > the version, tarball size and md5sum in-sync.  I sort of assumed
> > > that using e.g. md5sum from one package in another would break
> > > things (don't have time to check that at the moment).
> >
> > Well the md5sum and package size won't change.  We kinda to the same thing
> > with bind and bind-utilities.  They are two different builds of the same
> > tarball.
> >
> > In a similar situation we have qt5 and QtWebEngine.  Although 'webengine' is
> > available as a separate tarball, we almost always build both at each new
> > release.
> >
> > The problem with js is if some package, e.g. seamonkey or thunderbird, does
> > not keep up with firefox.  We also have the issue of polkit still at js60.
> > I checked into that and polkit does not build with js68. However it does
> > seem that there is only one polkit file that uses js.
> >

> Thanks for the pointer to bind and bind-utils : I'll change JS68 and
> packages.

And now I'll note tht it isn't an ideal solution - copying
firefox-size into js68 worked, but only because it was (re) defined
in js68.  If I comment that part, js68 does not validate because
firefox-size is not defined (i.e. the definition is local to each
xml file).

What I was hoping for was some way of defining it once, so that both
users can only show the same value.  I suppose putting the size and
md5sum in packages could do that (ditto for bind), but that would
look messy.

I'm also grumpy that I've now got to measure js68 when I update
firefox, but at least js68 can be used generally after the next
polkit release happens.

ĸen
--
The beauty of reading a page of de Selby is that it leads one
inescapably to the conclusion that one is not, of all nincompoops,