On Thu, Apr 09, 2020 at 10:58:56AM -0500, Douglas R. Reno via blfs-dev wrote:

> On 4/9/20 6:23 AM, Tim Tassonis via blfs-dev wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I noticed that I do get quite different build sizes for thunderbird than
> > other maintainers, so I thought I will give a few infos about how I
> > build thunderbird. Maybe this helps to find out what's going on here.
> >

> > du -hs /lgl-bld/thunderbird-68.7.0/
> >

> > reports
> >
> > 4.2G    /lgl-bld/thunderbird-68.7.0/
> >

> > So, as I'm doing this with all other packages and never get a
> > significant difference to what's in the book with other packages, I'm
> > pretty sure that my counting isn't the problem.
> >
> Hi Tim,
>
> I noticed that you're measuring the install via a DESTDIR (otherwise you
> wouldn't know what the installed files size is - although if you installed
> it in /opt/thunderbird like I see below, it'd be easy to measure it the same
> way). I know that cargo puts files in ~/.cargo, but I'm not sure how much of
> a difference that makes and looking at my script, I normally don't measure
> that either. See below on your package versions

Just a side note that even after wiping ~/.cargo for a 1.42.0 rust
build, and then building the current firefox-68 I didn't see any
change in the overall size of ~/.cargo (measured with du -sch).

> > In my mozconfig, I think I'm doing pretty standard stuff, too. These are
> > my active ac_add_options:
> >
> > ac_add_options --enable-startup-notification
> > ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio
> > ac_add_options --enable-calendar
> > ac_add_options --enable-system-sqlite
> > ac_add_options --with-system-libevent
> > ac_add_options --with-system-nspr
> > ac_add_options --with-system-nss
> > ac_add_options --with-system-icu
> > ac_add_options --prefix=/opt/thunderbird
> > ac_add_options --enable-application=comm/mail
> > ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
> > ac_add_options --disable-updater
> > ac_add_options --disable-debug
> > ac_add_options --disable-debug-symbols
> > ac_add_options --disable-tests
> > ac_add_options --enable-optimize=-O2
> > ac_add_options --enable-strip
> > ac_add_options --enable-install-strip
> > ac_add_options --enable-official-branding
> > ac_add_options --enable-system-ffi
> > ac_add_options --enable-system-pixman
> > ac_add_options --with-system-bz2
> > ac_add_options --with-system-jpeg
> > ac_add_options --with-system-png
> > ac_add_options --with-system-zlib
> >

> > So, what's left maybe is my toolchain, which might be a bit outdated:
> >
> > Name                     : rustc
> > Version                  : 1.42.0-1
> >
> > Name                     : gcc
> > Version                  : 7.3.0-1
> >
> > Name                     : clang
> > Version                  : 5.0.1-1
> >
> > I suppose I'm building with gcc and not clang, might that make such a
> > huge difference in buildsize?
> >
> Although that might not make a difference in build size, what might is your
> older package versions. What version of LFS are you building this on? The
> rest of us use 9.1/SVN, and in our case, that means:
>

> rustc-1.42.0
>
> gcc-9.3.0
>
> llvm-10.0.0
>

> Those packages can all contribute to a large difference in build size. Any
> mismatches in node.js or cbindgen can cause limited problems as well. We've
> been doing updates with GCC-9.3 and LLVM-10 in case we encounter any
> compilation or runtime errors caused by newer compilers. We try to keep all
> of the dependencies for a package on our system up to date before we update
> a package as well.

For firefox-esr I've put the minimal required versions in the wiki
because I know not everyone wants to do major updates every 4 or 6
weeks.  They probably match the minimum versions in thunderbird.
But I assumed everyone was using recent gcc and recent llvm.

ĸen
--
The beauty of reading a page of de Selby is that it leads one
inescapably to the conclusion that one is not, of all nincompoops,