On 6/3/20 6:57 AM, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
I started writing this in the ticket for node-v12.18.0 (#13628),
but the C++ scope errors when using system nghttp2 prompted me to go
with 12.18.0 for the moment.  And then I discovered that the same
FTBFS occurred in 12.18.0, but right at the end of the build instead
of very early on. <sigh/>

I'm fairly sure we have stuck to v12 at my suggestion, based on
https://nodejs.org/en/about/releases/ (v12 is 'active' until 20th
October, v14 is now 'current' i.e. development).  However, python2
has had its last release and I keep hoping that browsers
(specifically firefox and falkon via qtwebengine) will eventually
no-longer require it.  Node v12 will always require python2, but
python3 was added in v13 (which is now EOL) and is preferred if
found.

I'm guessing that moving to v14 before October _might_ add one or
two extra versions compared to v12, but equally v12 gets fairly
frequent releases.

For my own builds, apart from one this morning where I installed
v12.18.0 on one machine to check it seems to work, I'll be moving to
v14.4.0, partly because I hope to again try firefox (78, this time)
with python3 - although given the number of times my hopes have been
raised by the changes I've seen in ff diffs, I won't be surprised if
it's still not ready.

Hi Ken,

I'm sure you know by now that the new nghttp2 fixes this problem :)

Most of the reason why we stuck with the LTS release was due to the update frequency I think. I think we should stay with v12 until the next LTS comes out. The problem I have with Node is the amount of time it takes to build (and subsequently update the book). Last time I did it, it took me around 3 hours to complete. I think it makes more sense for us to stay with an LTS release over a development release, especially when it comes to releasing the book in September.

However, the potential move to python3 for Node.js is appealing too. I'm not sure what to say here, because I think we should stay with the LTS but it would be nice to get rid of another Python2 user.

Why does Mozilla insist on having node.js installed when building? It seems kind of odd to me that they'd use a competing JavaScript engine when they have their own that is built during the build process.