On 2020-06-04 12:38 +0100, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
> (starting a new thread so that people will notice this :)
>
> Back in December I built an experimental system to try doing without
> python2.  At that time it was less than useful (e.g. no graphical
> browsers, and I think I had to build suid xorg because I couldn't
> build mozilla's JS).  But I kept the system for testing.

I've been use such an "experimental" system for a while.  The main blockers for
me are js{60,68} and asciidoc.  For js68 I made a giant patch.  For js60 (which
is only required by polkit now) I made a small polkit patch to use js68 instead
(which is now a MR in polkit repo).  For asciidoc I used asciidoc-9.0.0rc{1,2}
(good news: 9.0.0 has been released).

> Main features -
>
> python is symlinked to python3:
> ken@plexi ~ $ls -l /usr/bin/python*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     7 Dec 16 11:27 /usr/bin/python -> python3
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     9 Dec 13 00:42 /usr/bin/python3 -> python3.8
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 44936 Dec 13 00:42 /usr/bin/python3.8
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  3128 Dec 13 00:42 /usr/bin/python3.8-config
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    16 Dec 13 00:42 /usr/bin/python3-config ->
> python3.8-config
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    14 Dec 16 06:26 /usr/bin/python-config -> python3-
> config
>
> gcc is 9.2.0
> clang is 8.0.1
>
> Today, I have managed to install firefox-78.0b2 and it is running
> while I type this :)

Finally I won't need to rebase giant patch :).

> NOTE: firefoxes >= 73 need a newer profile, keeping multiple
> profiles while old ESR is still in use is a good idea (I name them
> for the version of firefox where I created them).  Obviously, all
> customizations need to be recreated for a new profile.
>
> General details of firefox changes are in the wiki (and you cannot
> just drop an unedited mozconfig from 68ESR into 78 and expect it to
> build).
>
> Please note that for 78.0b2 I'm using the default compiler (clang) -
> on another machine where I do my firefox beta testing the build with
> gcc (9.3.0) failed (Error but without any obvious detailed error
> message to explain what happened - but of course lots of output which
> happend to mention error or :Error in compiler warnings) so for the
> moment I'm using clang.

It's either a Firefox bug or a GCC bug.  Normally I would make a bug report but
I'm too lazy to build Firefox (I would need 4 additional packages for it: GTK+-
2, cbindgen, nodejs, and libevent).

One Mozilla developer once made a lecture in our university and said "do not try
to build Firefox without a powerful workstation" :).
--
Xi Ruoyao <xry...@mengyan1223.wang>