On 10/29/20 3:52 AM, Pierre Labastie via blfs-dev wrote:
When building samba with required and recommended and dependencies (but
without dbus installed) on a SysV machine, I get (configure output):
-----------------
[...]
VFS_STATIC: vfs_default,vfs_not_implemented,vfs_posixacl
VFS_SHARED:
vfs_recycle,vfs_audit,vfs_extd_audit,vfs_full_audit,vfs_fake_perms,vfs_
default_quota,vfs_readonly,vfs_cap,vfs_expand_msdfs,vfs_shadow_copy,vfs
_shadow_copy2,vfs_readahead,vfs_xattr_tdb,vfs_streams_xattr,vfs_streams
_depot,vfs_acl_xattr,vfs_acl_tdb,vfs_preopen,vfs_catia,vfs_media_harmon
y,vfs_unityed_media,vfs_fruit,vfs_shell_snap,vfs_commit,vfs_worm,vfs_cr
ossrename,vfs_linux_xfs_sgid,vfs_time_audit,vfs_offline,vfs_virusfilter
,vfs_widelinks,vfs_snapper,vfs_fake_acls,vfs_nfs4acl_xattr,vfs_error_in
ject,vfs_delay_inject,vfs_syncops,vfs_dirsort,vfs_fileid,vfs_aio_fork,v
fs_aio_pthread,vfs_gpfs,vfs_btrfs,vfs_glusterfs_fuse
PDB_STATIC: pdb_smbpasswd,pdb_tdbsam,pdb_ldapsam
PDB_SHARED:
AUTH_STATIC: auth_builtin,auth_sam,auth_winbind,auth_unix
AUTH_SHARED:
NSS_INFO_STATIC: nss_info_template
NSS_INFO_SHARED:
CHARSET_STATIC:
CHARSET_SHARED:
IDMAP_STATIC: idmap_tdb,idmap_passdb,idmap_nss,idmap_ldap
IDMAP_SHARED:
idmap_ad,idmap_rfc2307,idmap_autorid,idmap_rid,idmap_hash,idmap_tdb2,id
map_script
GPEXT_STATIC:
GPEXT_SHARED:
PERFCOUNT_STATIC:
PERFCOUNT_SHARED:
RPC_STATIC: rpc_mdssvc_module
RPC_SHARED:
Checking for dbus
: not found
vfs_snapper is enabled but prerequisite dbus-1 package not found. Use -
-with-shared-modules=!vfs_snapper to disable vfs_snapper support.
(complete log in /sources/samba/samba-4.13.0/bin/config.log)
-----------------------------------
Note that "vfs_snapper" is in the long list after "VFS_SHARED:"

This does not show up in systemd, and in my usual builds, I build dbus
earlyn so it does not show up either. This time I have randomized the
order of the requested packages (before running the blfs-tools
dependency resolver), so it happens that samba is built before dbus.

Owing to the fact that vfs_snapper may be disabled (see above), I'd add
dbus to the recommended dependencies (only for SysV, of course).

Is there a reason to either:
- not do that
- add it to required?

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

A new security update for Samba came out early this morning. Normally we get 7 days of advance notice for a new Samba version that contains security fixes, but we didn't for this one. It looks like there are three CVEs fixed in it.

Since they didn't give advance notice, I can only assume that this means that they're critical enough to warrant emergency releases.

I'll add it to Required. I think it fits best there because vfs_snapper is used for Samba to take snapshots of filesystem metadata for folders that it shares files from.

It does not show up on systemd because dbus is built in LFS (although it needs to be rebuilt in BLFS for dbus-launch support for X11). That explains why I generally miss it :-)

- Doug