On 1/23/21 11:06 AM, Tim Tassonis via blfs-dev wrote:
Hi all

Hi Tim,
When setting up my new xfce4 based system, I stumbled across webp-pixbuf-loader.

It easily adds support for webp images in gdk-pixbuf-loader, which then automatically gets picked up by thunar, tumbler and ristretto and will allow you to view and preview those images. I suppose it would be the same for gnome folks.

I think GPicView, Nautilus, EOG, and maybe PCManFM could use this for thumbnails :)

The repository is at

https://github.com/aruiz/webp-pixbuf-loader

Current version is.

https://github.com/aruiz/webp-pixbuf-loader/archive/0.0.2.tar.gz

which should be downloaded to webp-pixbuf-loader-0.0.2.tar.gz

Build and install is a simple matter of:

mkdir build
cd build || exit
meson --prefix=/opt/X11 -Dbuildtype=release ..
ninja || exit
cd ..
cd build || exit
DESTDIR=$DESTDIR ninja install || exit
cd ..
/opt/X11/bin/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache

Of course, DESTDIR is my own choice, as is the /opt/X11 prefix.

Maybe this could be added as a suggestion to the libwebp or the gdk-pixbuf page?

It looks simple enough, I think we should add it to the book, probably placing it into Graphics Libraries. Being able to read webp images is very useful now. I'd say mentioning it on the gdk-pixbuf page would be useful. Bruce and others, what do you think?

- Doug