Uli Fahrenberg wrote:
Background: I have heard that Google uses Gmail invites to keep track of the social network of Gmail users, something which with the right data mining tools can be *very* valuable to advertisement folks.

Disclaimer: The above is only a rumour and might as well be completely wrong, both as a fact (indicating some paranoia on my side) and also technically (indicating my ignorance about data mining etc. which is, indeed, abunding).

I find that putting aluminium foil inside my hat helps to keep these kinds of
thoughts out...