On Thursday 31 March 2005 06:17 pm, Andrew Benton wrote:
> Hello list,
> I've recently wired together our computers with crossover cables. As part
> of working out how to get xbox live to work through a masquerading linux
> box I first did it with the PC's so I could take it one step at a time and
> see the error messages. Anyway, all that's done and dusted, it's working
> well. However, when I wired the PC's together I naively thought that I'd be
> able to use the connection to be able to move files between the computers.
> That hasn't happened, I still find myself walking up and down the stairs
> with floppy disks and cd's. I've spent several days trying to setup this
> machine as a coda server and although I'm making progress it seems way more
> complicated than I need. So I'd like some suggestions please, what
> application should I be looking at to move files between two Linux From
> Scratch PC's? Ideally I'd like to be able to browse anything on the other
> computer remotely. I often find I need to check details from the
> bootscripts or some other such file that could be anywhere on the hard
> drive so I have to walk up and down the stairs again. There must be an
> easier way...

A graphical version of ssh and scp can be found in Konqueror/kde.
I use the "fish" ioslave to transfer files between my linux boxes. Just type
"fish:/[EMAIL PROTECTED]" into the address bar and and you can browse "host's"
files as if they were on a local machine.

The big, fat downside is that you need kde (probably only on one machine,
though).

Nfs works good too, and isn't too hard to set up.

Regards,
Craig