Thanks for the feedback folks. I backed everything up, made install,
and verified that nothing was done outside of the "prefix-directory"
specified. And the darnedest thing seems to actually work fine!

In my code, I only had to fix some "specialized template stuff"
(guess C++ or g++'s level of sloppiness has changed since 3.4.2)
and then some 160.000+ lines of C/C++-code compiled, with my test
program running in 71% of the time that the 3.4.2-compiled version
did! Exactly the kind of effect I was looking for...! (This code is
heavy on math and STL stuff, -O3 plus some other options used.)

J.O.

PS. Didn't apply any patches at all.