Steve Brown wrote:

>> After I ran the NVIDIA-BLAH-BLAH-7174-BLAH-BLAH.run
>> that I downloaded from their site, it removed the old drivers that
>> were installed, built the new interface for my kernel, and loaded the
>> new drivers. Actually, I ran modprobe nvidia to get the module loaded,
>> and now it autoloads when the computer starts up. Oh I'm also running
>> xorg 6.8.2 and kernel version 2.6.11.7.
>
> Sounds pretty close to my setup, but I still got nuthin'
>> > did you replace "nv" with "nvidia" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?
>> > did you add "nvidia" in /etc/sysconfig/modules?
>
> Yup.
>
>> Also, did you build it against the running kernel?, and not the kernel
>> you originally used for your LFS system?
>
> Did that to.  Kind of frustrating to get this far in the (B)LFS
> process and be thwarted by something like video drivers. :|  Just for
> kicks, here's my xorg.conf file:

Maybe this helps:
1. is the standard driver in the kernel (nv) compiled in as a module?
(called rivafb)
Load the driver the first time manually with modprobe nvidia.
Is it loaded properly?

2. when loading the nvidia driver, in the dev directory some entries wil
be created.
At least /dev/nvidiactl and /dev/nvidia0. Is this the case?

In my installation they get permissions 660 and owner root:video which makes
them unusable for a normal user (non root). I'v changed my udev-setup
by giving everybody rw-access to these devices.
But, this is not needed for X to run. Only for the screensaver in KDE (which
is build upon xscreensaver) strange enough.

Stef