Using 'ps' and looking at the 'time' field, I recognized that most
cputime on my machine is spent in X and Mozilla (of the code I have
access to source to, that is) so I want to rebuild these with gcc
4.0.0 with some extra optimization. So much for the background.

Trying to compile XFree86 4.5.0 first, I got error messages
complaining that sfnt->find_sbit_image and sfnt->load_sbit_metrics
in xc/lib/font/FreeType/ftfuncs.c do not exist.

Has anybody else tried this and got stuck in the same spot?
(Just commenting out these codelines makes the rest compile just
fine, btw.)