On Monday 25 April 2005 21:15, Donal Farrell wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. My /usr is about 917 GB at the moment. I think
> Knoppix uses cloop compression in the kernel, and it's something I might
> look at. Do you use a Window Manager on your version, or a stripped
> version of KDE, etc? I installed KDE and made a dog's dinner of it, do I
> reckon, if I find out how, I could remove all the file pertaining to KDE
> from /usr, and reduce the size by a few hundred megs. At the moment, I'm
> thinking a small gnome build, or else xfce, such that there is a desktop
> element. Thanks again

KDE is huge, but at least it's dependencies are simple. Gnome, OTOH, is also
huge, but it's built on many small library sets rather than one big one.
Figuring out what is needed is more trouble that I care to do, so I stick
with KDE.

Gnome probably could be built smaller, but tracing all the dependencies would
give the average person a serious headache.

For small, I'd go with xfce, dillo or firefox for browsing and what ever else
you think you need.

But that's just my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers,

        John Gay