Archaic wrote:
> On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 05:15:43PM -0400, Jon Grosshart wrote:
>
>>As I stated earlier, many of my older/working drivers are breaking
>>with each subsquient release of 2.6.xx....
>

> Can't you save yourself a lot of hassle and stop upgrading the kernel?
> security patches to it instead?

You know, thats a capital idea..... :-) That was my very first thought
when I started having problems but, like so many others, I'm addicted
to the idea of always running the 'Latest and Greatest' of
everything.... I can live with glibc and GCC being older versions,
namely for stabilities sake, but I MUST UPGRADE EVERYTHING ELSE!!!!!

I'm not one to trust people when they say something unless I can
verify it, but yea... You guys were right. Trying to use a different
glibc is a nightmare... I did the whole seperate linux-threads thing,
omitted nptl and for other reasons, omitted tls... Same version of
glibc tho.

When ever I would try to run ANY binary on my system, I'd get:

/lib/libc.so.6: "whatever binary I would try to run": /lib/libc.so.6
"something,something" could not find PRIVATE_GLIBC in
"something,something"

Or something to that effect... It pretty much told me that I would
have to recompile every single binary on my system because they
already had something hard-coded into them with relation to my old
glibc.... I might still try different variations of the  build. Maybe
all the companion libs that those binaries use are compiled with the
newer tls interface and it would have worked if I hadn't omitted TLS
support in my new glibc... Don't know for sure what those errors were
about...

Sigh.... Next time around, I'll have to think of these things before I
start. Thanks again everyone for your input.