It appears portmapper is running as UID 1, which is like, totally not a
valid UID :)

Can't for the life of me figure out why or how to fix it, and I don't want
to add a bin user just for that one program. Wish I didn't need the stupid
thing at all actually, but FAM requires it. How is it even ALLOWED to run as
a nonexistent UID??

Built it as per the book, using the book's bootscript rather than inetd. I
did comment out the tcpwrappers option in the Makefile because I don't feel
that I need it, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Cheers!
Jer