> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Declan Moriarty wrote:
>

> > I rebuilt the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels on LFS-5.0 here. Only a 1% change,
> > mainly in usb because the modules were barfing over hotplug.
> >
> > Spamd is now starting under the 2.4 kernel and all seems well there.
> > Loadkeys is running again under the 2.6 kernel. Neither have
> > framebuffer enabled for the console. The console cursor problem
> > remains. Further, If I change from a console into X and back out,
> > the cursor vanishes :-((.
> >

>  So, all of the 2.4 problems have gone ?  If so, that's _some_
>  progress.

Yes. I was being a bit silly with the names, and caught on.

> > At any stage, running 'setfont <same font>' restores the cursor
> > action.  No dri enabled either, btw.
> >

>  Do I understand you have FB disabled in your .config ?

Now, after a quick 2.6 rebuild, everything to do with framebuffer is
out. No framebuffer in xorg or console

>  Did the cursor work adequately on 2.6 in the past ?

Never. But I never used 2.6 much.

>  Which version of 2.6 are you now using, and which was your previous
>  working version ?

2.6.12.1.

2.6.0, 2.6.9, & 2.6.10 all showed the same thing.

>  As to the vga= not doing anything in 2.6, I've no idea.  I use
>  framebuffers here (in some kernel versions for some framebuffers they
>  work well, other times less well) and on those the bootargs changed
>  for 2.6 (e.g. 'radeonfb' instead of 'radeon') and that change seems
>  to have been backported into mid-period 2.4.  Unfortunately, I failed
>  to grok where the kernel parses the video arguments from the command
>  line.  Which is a roundabout way of saying that maybe the syntax
>  changed :) Perhaps try vga=ask - but first, look at dmesg [ in 2.6 ]
>  to see if it says anything about the vga= option you passed to it.

It apparently ignores it. Now we have a finger on something.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# dmesg |grep -i vga
Kernel command line: noapic acpi=off vga=0x122 root=/dev/hda6 ro
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25 (About 5 lines later)

I hacked the grub line once more and used vga=ask. It didn't ask!
Next bit of spare time I'll stick the framebuffer back in. I have
memories that
        1. The radeon card responds strangely to the radeon module.
        2. I have downgraded the monitor to a cheap/nasty type which may
        not do what the previous one did.

> > I think the init  issue was the poor (idiotic) naming convention of
> > kernels and maps in the common /boot partition. I now have
> > vmlinuz-version and System.map-version which was definitely not what
> > I had before.
> >

>  Yeah, vmlinuz-v.v.v-whatever is definitely the way to go (and for
>  2.6, using /proc/config.gz if you remembered to enable it and didn't
>  save a good .config)

Is this config.gz the stored .config in the kernel, which can be
extracted from memory? I store them as config-version-MMYY which is
usually enough. It beats having them in ram.

--

        With best Regards,

        Declan Moriarty.