Andrew Benton wrote:

video4linux mailing list https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/video4linux-list A lot of the traffic there is technical stuff about kernel patches, but there are plenty of nice people who are willing to help with more basic problems. Also, the ivtv forum http://www.shspvr.com/smf/ or do they just do the PVR-250 and PVR-350 cards?

Thanks for the tips, the ivtv lead me on to the solution. (Well, to
the v4l-problem. Things don't work quite yet, but I got past that
one...) It turns out these cards are actually loaded with "firmware"
every time the driver connects to them, and that this firmware must
be extracted from Windows files and placed in /lib/modules. This was
completely new to me, so without them the ivtv driver never got
around to "firing up" the v4l stuff at all...

J.O.