On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Dan McGhee wrote:

> I built Firefox 1.0 as part of my BLFS 6.0 system.  Since then there
> have been five upgrades to Firefox (currently 1.0.5 with 1.0.6 maybe in
> a few days).  Also, I've seen a lot of traffic in the last couple of
> weeks about 1.0.4 not building or behaving too well.

 As a contributor to some of that, all variants of the firefox-1.0
series can be considered alike for how you can build them, and for what
issues may arise from the different build methods.  So, if you are happy
with the result of 1.0, upgrade it.  If you use the book's instructions,
the new version will go into /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.5 (or .6 if that is
what you use) alongside your existing /usr/lib/firefox-1.0 or wherever.
So, you get an extra subdirectory until you remove the old one.

 If you have issues with the profile selector, e.g. when you try to open
a new instance of firefox, that appears to be a problem with the build
method.

 If you are concerned about displaying png or mng graphics in the
browser, it seems that none of the firefox-1.0 versions can do this
without additional software.

> Currently, I'm not able to install any plugins or extensions without
> upgrading to at least 1.0.4.  What are the pros and cons about
> downloading and installing the binaries from Firefox?  What problems can
> I expect if I build 1.0.4?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

 First, don't build 1.0.4 - these are security updates, go with the
latest.

 As to binaries, you lose the control and purity of compiling it all
yourself and choosing the exact settings in the config, which is why
most of us are here.  Only you can decide how much that is worth, and
weigh it against the time to recompile.

 On the positive side, new releases of the binaries appear to precede
the general release of a new source tarball by some hours or days, you
can happily use the trademarked icons and whatever because it is an
official build, and the binaries are a somewhat smaller download than
the source code.

 Where did you see indications of 1.0.6 appearing soon ?

Ken