Jean-Philippe Mengual wrote:
> Hi,
> Could someone explain to me why, in the book blfs, is Fcron-2.9.5.1
> replace cr¨ontab I used on Debian? Cannot I install crontab? Why
> replacement?

I'm not sure of the original reasons, but I use fcron because it seems
better than Vixie Cron at handling machines that are not always switched
on.  For example, a machine that is dual-booted with another OS.

You can install Vixie Cron, or anything else, if you like - it's your
system.  You could also install fcron and set a symlink from
/usr/bin/crontab to /usr/bin/fcrontab - then it would look like crontab
and you don't need to remember a new command - but then you might forget :-)

> Moreover, about using fcron, is there a difference? With crontab, I
> did crontab -e then I wrote a file, is it the same thing or are there
> important differences?

Most of the crontab settings are identical, there are a few extra
settings for fcron to handle things like '10 minutes after starting and
then every 4 hours':  http://fcron.free.fr/doc/index.html  (not far from
you :-)

> Thanks for your information.

You're welcome.