> So, now I wonder...
>
> 1) Who installs this, and missed it in my system? X? I could not find
>    any clues scanning the topmost levels of the LFS+BLFS books for the
>    term "locale".

Glibc installs to /usr/lib, and, I think /usr/local/share. X installs
under /usr/X11R6, as do X packages.

> 2) How can I get this right? Has some part of my system installed the
>    sensible things under /usr/lib but just forgot to tell X about it?
>    If so, I guess I can just fix it with a soft link.

Divide & conquer. Does everything run fine on runlevel 3 in bash
consoles? That clears glibc. Then suspect your X setup.

> 3) What is the best source of information on this?

The archives. Erika Pallocheck helped me out on this some time back. We
all got a detailed explenation. My problem proved to be that the make
install-locales command in glibc failed, but the make didn't exit with
an error. Only half the stuff was there. So I ended up recompiling glibc
and sticking in locales only (I think). It was a long thread.

> 4) What should I set my LC_*, LANG and similar (if there more)
> variables to? I guess maybe I will have to figure that out from (3)
> above...

To your choice of country. In practise, forget about ascii 31 to 127;
the special characters you want to see really determine it. I remember
noting that the [EMAIL PROTECTED] had a good selection or odd ones. Currency
usually determines your choice. I have a $ sign, a € sign, and a £ sign,
which pleases me but I had to hack the keymap to do it. I'm running on
my hacked lfs-3.3 keymap writing this.

> Sorry for the verboseness, but will appreciate any hints, as always...

If you compiled in any fonts into your kernel, you could be nicely
buggered. And as soon as the bugs get out of these locales, the heads
will break  compatability with them, and shove  alpha Unicode over IPV6
down our throats .... (gripe, moan)

--

        With best Regards,

        Declan Moriarty.