On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> Anyway, the server starts OK according to the bootscript, and it even
> sits patiently under the daemon mode.  Then I try to login and it
> crashes with the message Connection closed by 67.160.78.67 before I can
> attempt to enter a password or anything.
>

> What I think is failing is that sshd is trying to use IPv6 and it's not
> gonna happen on my machine (I think).  Earlier in the daemon log there
> is this message:
> debug1: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
> Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0 failed: Address already in use.
>

> Aug 15 04:03:47 conor kernel: IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
> Aug 15 04:03:47 conor bootlog:  Starting SSH Server...[  OK  ]
> < snip udev creates some devices >
> Aug 15 04:03:57 conor kernel: eth0: no IPv6 routers present
>
> Sorry for the long post, but I wasn't sure what would be relevant and
> what wouldn't.  Thanks in advance to anyone who knows how to address
> this problem.
>
> Dan

 Dan,

 this is pure guesswork on my part, but your analysis sounds plausible.
The last message above comes from within the IPV6 subsystem which is
hidden away at

Device Drivers
 Networking Support
  Networking Options
   The IPv6 protocol (EXPERIMENTAL)
in the kernel's menuconfig.

 The thing is, IPv6 isn't selected in the default x86 config, so it
looks as if you built it "just in case" (you say an IPv6 connection
isn't going to happen).

 If you are able to, you could try rebuilding a kernel without IPv6 to
see if it helps.  Alternatively, other people in this situation might
need to configure IPv6 - see

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/

Ken