Dan Nicholson wrote:

Anyway, I created 2 scripts that firefox and thunderbird call when they want to open the URL or write the mailto:,

Thanks, Dan

Then do you just point Thunderbird/Firefox to the wrappers by user.js or prefs.js:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto", "path_to_wrapper");

I was using something like this in Mandrake, but it doesn't work in BLFS. The first thing I'm going to try is DJ's /usr/bin/{thunderbird,firefox} scripts. If that doesn't work, then I'll try your wrappers.

One interesting thing that I've discovered is that the /usr/bin scripts and the run-mozilla.sh script all say that they set up a bunch of environment stuff. However, when I run 'echo $MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME' for example, I get no return. Additionally, the current scripts (generated by the build from source) talk about ~.thunderbird (firefox too)/init.d/* scripts. I'm wondering if this is a new direction Mozilla is taking. I haven't yet found any examples, tutorials, or HOWTO's on these scripts. With this in mind, I'm wondering if these scripts, or the lack thereof, are causing these symptoms. When I complete my research, or, more probably, run into a brick wall, I'm going to start another thread in this list to see what other people have to say.

I digress.  Thanks again.

Dan