Dan Nicholson wrote these words on 08/24/05 15:30 CST:

> The issue of profile locking when trying to open a URL in an already
> running Firefox received some attention on blfs-support.  Kevin
> Somervill went through the run-mozilla.sh script and found there was
> an error where a variable didn't get set for the remote condition.
> You can see his post here:
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/blfs-support/2005-August/055826.html

I now remember reading this message, but completely overlooked its
importance. I will attempt this right now. Building and installing
using the current books's method, and then modify the run-mozilla.sh
script. If this works (I'm sure it will, but I must test it), then
we'll keep our existing installation as 'make install' is a helluva
lot easier than a bunch of manual copying.

The whole point in trying to improve the installation of Firefox
right now is to fix the profile-locking thing. I'll use whatever
method is easiest which fixes the issue.

> One last thing, what is the danger of using
> --prefix=/opt/firefox-$VERSION instead of using the installer method?

I'm not sure I understand the question. The installer method does
use --prefix=/whatever on the configure line.

--
Randy

15:41:00 up 144 days, 15:14, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.19