I know I'm still a beginner when it comes to the LFS world - but still I would like to tell you that pkg-user approach is *exactly* what I have been waiting for all these years when I used eg. rpm and had no clue what it is doing to my system. Basically I want to know what is happening, even if it means some extra work, and the pkg-user hint does just that - nothing happens w/o me knowing / realising. Uninstall is also as simple as possible (call is ascetic). Well, I could think of a few more arguments for, but I'll just say: I'm in love with pkg-user.

At the same time I know there are other people out there who have a different idea of package management - and as you pointed out, there are at least a couple decent approaches for them too. So thank you for all your comments - perhaps my roommate (I'm a uni student) will find one of them the eighth miracle of the world :-)

Kind regards,
David Ciecierski