> When I create a new user
>
> # useradd -m <username>
>
> the user's home directory is created with a bad set of permissions.
> (drwxr-xr-x)  Where do I set the default permissions for home
> directories?  I'd prefer 700 (wrx------) for the home directories.

Plenty of instructions given already. 0700, eh?

Just be careful setting up email. Most mailing programs (sendmail
excepted) seem to operate as otherwise unused or fictitious users.
Anything sent directly will probably bounce. Procmail will deliver to
0700 (if called with -d $USER), but spamassassin cannot read it's user
preferences (Stored in ~/.spamassassin), razor-agent might have fun also
if you have mail for more than one user. In fact anything that doesn't
run as the user can't read it's ~/.config_files. You might have to have
very powerful users, or use a lot of root applications.

A better approach might be to have subdirs of ~/ unreadable.
--

        With best Regards,

        Declan Moriarty.