On Tuesday 20 September 2005 09:29 pm, Brandin Creech wrote:

> > Do you mean the "Show window contents when moving" or similar setting
> > that most window managers have? I've never had this setting effect
> > running programs on a KDE desktop whether switched on or off.
>
> Exactly. The "show window contents when moving" is the same thing; some WMs
> call this same thing "opaque move." Therefore, the opposite setting would
> probably best be called "transparent move." When setting "transparent
> move," most (or maybe all) WMs will freeze other applications during the
> move operation. Kwin, Windowmaker, IceWM, are specific ones that I've
> tried. All applications are frozen. It is best seen if you have a movie
> playing in one window, and then you try to move/resize that window or
> another window. The movie stops playing while you are doing the
> "transparent move."

Xine will freeze while moving windows in outline mode in KDE for me (and
XFCE). Last night I had tried this with a .wav file playing and it worked
fine.

I'm thinking this problem only applies to movie players. I can move windows
around while compiling software on an xterm for instance, and it neither
freezes nor pauses.

Still, it's kind of buggy behavior that I didn't know existed, and I can't
really offer suggestions. I have tried the transparency stuff that Nick
talked about and it works. But as far as I know there are few if any wm's
that offer this other than Kwin - and it takes a big install (KDE desktop) to
get it.

Regards,
Craig