> configure: error: You need at least libxml 1.8.8
> for this version of gnome-print

I believe you've installed libxml2, as described in the book. But as far as I know you'll need to install libxml(1) for the gnome 1.4 libraries - and the lack of it is precisely what gnome-print configure complains about.

> Sorry for bombarding the List with my various install problems

That's what this list is for after all IMHO... And just a few weeks ago I was doing pretty much the same myself!

Best regards.
--
David Ciecierski

Hardened Linux From Scratch