Supertux needs SDL_mixer to play sounds, it may also need smpeg. Did you install SDL_mixer?

Yes, I've had both since the beginning. A while ago I was checking if smpeg did not use gstreamer (then broken gstreamer would explain supertux exiting), but it doesn't. It's just slightly worrying that smpeg's last stable dates back to April 2001... I'm now at beep media player compilation - it doesn't use gstreamer, and I just want to have some X app that can output sound to help with finding the source of my little problem.

Btw: I chose gstreamer as I find it a more... elegant solution, kind of Windows-like codec database not related to or intended for any particular program.

--
David Ciecierski

Hardened Linux From Scratch
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs