On 9/27/05, Tushar Teredesai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Seems a very trivial extension of the current pkg-user hint.

Yep, indeed it's not a great deal! :)

> Also, I fail to understand what the benefit is with this extension.
> You are already giving the pkg user privilege to install files in the
> standard directories (such as /bin /sbin). What would be achieved by
> not allowing it to install something in /etc/rc.d?

I try to explain the major benefit I see.
Let's say you are about to install a package. Actually it is
a malicious package... but you don't know this.
If the install script (when you run it as a privileged user)
puts a bootscript in /etc/rc.d/... and you don't realize that,
at the next boot the malicious commands could be launched
with superuser privileges. And you know nothing about it.

Am I wrong?
If I am, well, I realize that my approach is nothing more
than sh...t ! :-)

Well, on the other hand, you may not allow any package
user to install files on /etc/rc.d
David Cieciersky said that very few packages try to put
files in /etc subdirs.
Up to now I found that (apart lfs-bootscrips and blfs-bootscripts)
autofs does try to put such a script. (... and BLFS suggests to
remove that and use its own)

Let me know.

Luca