On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, sacarde wrote:

- which kernel version was used,
2.6.11.12

which sound driver module, what
snd_via82xx

does lspci say about your soundcard,
pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x11 function 0x05: vendor 0x1106 device 0x3059
VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235 AC97 Audio Controller

 Hmm, all the indications are that this *is* the correct driver.

plus which kernel are you using in
your LFS system,
2.6.11.12.....I compile kernel with CDLIVE-BLFS 6.1 with config-file copied
from distro Archie (2.6.11.12)

 Odd, if it worked there then it should work here.

and what does the config (just the relevant part of
/proc/config.gz, for preference) say about the sound drivers ?
CONFIG_SND=y
[ snipped, nothing obviously wrong ]

command: dmesg | grep via
via82xx: Assuming DXS channels with 48k fixed sample rate.

I'm sorry, this all looks perfectly correct. On the machine I'm using at the moment (Realtek ALC850 chip using Via 8237) the config looks similar (different things built in/as modules, but similar selections), except that I also selected an Intel sound driver (I got misinformed about which driver I needed).

I don't have that via message in my dmesg, but then I'm running 2.6.13 on this box.

 When I use alsamixer, it shows

Card: VIA 8237 Chip: Realtek ALC850 rev 0 View: Playback Item: Master

and I need to unmute the Master and first PCM controls (sliders 1 and 3, from the left, starting to count at 1).

I interpreted what you wrote earlier as "the master and other volumes are unmuted, but I cannot use the cursor to increase the volume above 0" - was that correct ? And, just to exhaust the possibilities, muted controls show as 'MM' and unmuted as 'OO'.

I can remember a chip on another box (possibly via) that could *only* play 48KHz samples, not 44.1KHz (like CD) files - the quote from your dmesg sounds a bit like that - are you using a sound file that you know worked when you were running the Archie distro ?

 Sorry I'm not being much help.

Ken