--- Dan McGhee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 06:30:58AM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
>
> >The config files are in /etc/X11/xdm.  Xsession even has scripting to
> >source profile and ~./bash_profile.
>
> Should I play it really safe and put a test in?
>
> if [  -f /etc/profile ]; then
>    source /etc/profile
> fi

I think this type of test is overused; I see it in other scripts also. The
single line 'source /etc/profile' works just fine: if /etc/profile exists and
is readable, 'source /etc/profile' does just what you expect. If, for some
reason, the file doesn't exist or is not readable, 'source /etc/profile' will
produce an error message, which again is probably what you want. Basically
the 'source' instruction already does the test for you, so you don't need to
double the work.