--- randhir phagura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 1. While the other data cd's are mounted normally, I cannot mount music
> cd's
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
> mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: /dev/hdc: can't read superblock

You can only mount media that have a supported filesystem driver. The 'mount'
command you are issuing is assuming the CD has a iso9660 filesystem on it
(i.e. you are implicitly saying 'mount -t iso9660'), but a regular audio CD
does not have an iso9660 filesystem and only has audio tracks. Some CDs have
both iso9660 filesystems as well as audio tracks; those will be mounted
successfully, but you will only see the data content (the audio tracks will
not appear as part of the filesystem). Further, some CDs have both iso9660
and hfs filesystems (mixed mode CDs -- designed for running on either Mac or
PCs), so either filesystem can be mounted.

Back to the audio CDs: if you want, you can mount audio CDs and the audio
tracks will be represented as .wav files using the cdfs driver. CDfs is my
preferred way of playing music CDs on my computer, though I'm not sure how it
behaves if given a copy-protected audio CD. CDfs is not part of the standard
kernel, so you will need to build it separately or patch the kernel to
include it.

CDfs
http://www.elis.ugent.be/~ronsse/cdfs/