> Sorry, it was trivial:
> I forgot, that I have two Networkcards. The driver for the one, I am not
> using, was compiled into the kernel. The other one wasn't
>
> Greetings
>
> Kim
>
> On Mittwoch 16 November 2005 11:26, Kim Neunert wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently finished with LFS book and now I try to get my
> > Internet-connection working. First, I wondered that "ifconfig" is not
> > installed. It seems, that "link" is another frontend to the "ip
> > interfaces" ?! I installed ifconfig as described in BLFS.
> >
> > But I should proceed to my problem: pinging is not possible.
> > Everything is fine but no ping-answer:
> [...]

Compare /etc/hosts, /etc/host.conf, and /etc/resolv.conf from your
debian installation with your lfs one.

Where I fell over was running /etc/rc.d/init.d/network at startup and it
would set up an 'ifconfig' command.

/Wildly guessing because we weren't told

If you have one of the modems that have a dhcp server, you need dhclient
or dhcpcd and you need to let that set your card up.

ifconfig simply sets the card; it doesn't introduce everything to each
other, and set them talking. There's different ways of doing that
(pppoe, dhcp, etc.)

If the above wild huess was wrong, explain your network.
--

        With best Regards,

        Declan Moriarty.