On Tue, November 22, 2005 12:10, Luca Dionisi said:
> Hi folks
>
> Has anyone succeded in installing Gnome using package-users ?

Yes, though I have yet to use it 'in anger', I'm installing additional
X packages ATM.

> I've just finished the installation of Gnome Core packages by
> following the BLFS 6.1 and using the package users hint.
> Once I arrived to the chapter of configuration (that is last section
> of chapter 30) I gave the command update-desktop-database.
> The system replied with a lot of messages. Unfortunately, I didn't
> write down the exact message, and it won't reproduce, but they were
> all equals and did sound like 'mimetype file not found'.
> Then, launching gnome-session, all the icons in nautilus windows
> (and in the desktop) are the same default sheet. :(

I'm not sure what you mean here, could you explain:

1) Exactly what you are seeing (default sheet?)
2) Exactly what you would expect to see

> Now, if I try again with update-desktop-database nothing happens, no
> messages are written and the icons are still the same ones.
> I checked always the log of the installations to see if any file was
> required as setuid root, and found none.

Use the '--verbose' option and you'll see what is happening. I get the
same thing, also on my Debian Gnome 2.8 installation at work.
'lacks MimeType key' yes?  So I don't think this is a problem as such.

[...]
--
Tony