> I've no more idea what it can be. According to bash
> (and other shells I looked at), `command` and
> $(command) are equivalent for command substitution.
> The second form is the newer. So I can only recommand
> you to always use $(...) instead of `...` in all your
> commands, it should be strictly the same thing.
> If someone know why the shell act as this, I'm also
> insterested, as I never see it before.
> Sorry to cannot do more for you.
> G. Moko

I think, I should have told this to you before that I have upgraded
the bash on my computer as well. I have upgraded it to 3.0
So, this might be the case that the newer version of bash does not
support the older method, i.e.,  ' ...'
No issues, as long as my things compiled it is fine with me whichever
way it compiled.
Thanks a lot for your help :).