After using Bash for awhile, one feature I find myself using a lot is the
CTRL+R key combination (reverse-search-history). But a lot of times, I will
press (C-r) one too many times, and wish that I had a way to go "forward"
again to get to the history entry I wanted. Well, the Bash manpage says:

reverse-search-history (C-r)
              Search backward starting at the  current  line  and
              moving `up' through the history as necessary.  This
              is an incremental search.
       forward-search-history (C-s)
              Search forward starting at  the  current  line  and
              moving  `down'  through  the  history as necessary.
              This is an incremental search.

However, CTRL+S is the same as "Scroll-lock", or so I thought, so pressing
"(C-s)" as the manual describes does not work for me. Is there a way to
perform the (C-s) function that Bash describes, perhaps by remapping it to a
different key combination?

I'm not really sure why CTRL+S acts as "Scroll Lock" anyway--when I first
discovered it by accident by mistyping, I thought my terminal had just
randomly frozen (until I discovered that CTRL+Q unlocked it).

I'd appreciate any insight on this. If I had the "forward" search as
described, it'd make my shell a little friendlier for me. Thanks.