> No idea if this works on SATA, but there is an sdparm.
> http://sg.torque.net/sg/sdparm.html
>
> --
> Archaic

Thanks. I've been playing with that. Actually some of hdparm still
works, the error messages are expected and apparently harmless. Sdparm
has no benchmark option. There are kernel patches to add functionality
to libata but for some reason not for my kernel (2.6.14.2). Sounds like
2.6.15 will have it built in. Most of the optimisation should be already
happening if scsi-sata support is present (and is for me). The only
decision to make is whether to take the risk of write cache enable or
not (was enabled by default by m disk). For a home user like me it
sounds acceptable.

Thanks again for the help. I'm now looking for my next "issue"

David