--- Randy McMurchy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Brandin Creech wrote these words on 12/08/05 12:09 CST:
> > Has anyone noticed this: in Bash, the command
> >
> >   cd //usr//bin
> >
> > causes PWD to become "//usr/bin" instead of "/usr/bin".
> > [snip]
> > But does anyone know how to fix this.
>
> Don't issue the command 'cd //usr//bin'.  :-)

I usually don't, of course. But I was thinking of something in a script like

  cd "$PREFIX/bin"

where "$PREFIX" could possibly be "/". In that case, "cd //bin" gets issued.
Normally, this doesn't seem cause any problem... but the fact that bash
returns the initial double slash makes me nervous.. as though it thinks
"//bin" and "/bin" are different directories.