The output of all relevant files and programs I can think of are as follows:

*dmesg*
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.8 (Thu Jan 13
09:39:32 2005 UTC)
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:1f.5[B] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.5 to 64
intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 50130 usecs
intel8x0: clocking to 48000
ALSA device list:
 #0: Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with AD1981B at 0xee081000, irq 17

*/etc/asound.conf*
pcm.card0 {
type hw
card 0
device 0
}

ctl.card0 {
type hw
card 0
device 0
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hw:0,0"
rate 48000
}
}

*/usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf*
not going to post the whole thing, but does point to both
/etc/asound.conf and ~/.asoundrc

*speaker-test*
speaker-test 0.0.8

Playback device is plughw:0,0
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 8 to 16384
Period size range from 8 to 16384
Periods = 4
Buffer time size 2525
To choose buffer_size = 15052
To choose period_size = 3763
was set period_size = 3763
was set buffer_size = 15052
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 2.666476
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 2.978676
0 - Front Left
......ad nauseam.

This is all that I can think of at the present moment.  I fear there
may be an answer staring me in the face that I simply can't see.  I
apologize for any shabby-looking files, I have been trying anything
and everything to fix this.  Thanks in advance
    -Van
amixer set 'IEC958 Capture Monitor' mute
This is a bug and the command line above fix this problem

Rebelde