On Sunday 08 January 2006 16:49, Dr. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> On Saturday 07 January 2006 23:03, Gabe Yoder wrote:
> > I'm still using one of the 2.6.14.x kernels, but I don't think that
> > should make any difference (and I have an ipw2100 instead of an ipw2200).
> >  When you installed hotplug, it should have made a directory /etc/hotplug
> > and put a bunch of *.agent files in there.  One of those is
> > firmware.agent.
>
> First of all: I apologize, as I made a mistake: I build my scratch-system
> on the basis of the LFS 6.0-book, wich unfortunately does_not_include the
> hotplug system. LFS 6.1 does. So now I first installed hotplug-2004_09_23,
> then I created /lib/firmware and I put all ipw-2.4-x.fw files in it. Now at
> least I have an /etc/hotplug directory and all the files I was missing.
>
> However, I still get the error message "ipw-2.4-boot.fw load failed:Reason
> -2" Following all the instructions, I noticed, that I dont have a
> sysfs-system mounted on /sys, although this instruction is included in
> /etc/fstab. What is the matter with this ? Could this be the reason for my
> failure ?

I don't think that is related to your problem.

> Again, thank you very much for your help, also for Andrew Bentons comments.
> Yes, I compiled my driver into the kernel. I installed "hotplug", but not
> "firmwarehotplug", does it matter ?

It sounds like you should try following Andrew's suggestion and build the
driver as a module and not build it directly into the kernel (I have my
driver built as a module).  I have never installed firmwarehotplug (or heard
of it for that matter), so you shouldn't need to install that.