My situation was that my integrated Intel sound card running under the intel8x0 driver was not getting sound to my speakers, even though all software indications (speaker-test, aplay, alsamixer and ecasound) ran error-free, and _apparently_ to the correct location.  The problem did, in fact, lie in my configuration of alsamixer.  Apparently, two settings were introduced into alsamixer with the rollout of kernel 2.6.10 - 'Headphone Jack Sense' and 'Line Jack Sense.'  Apparently unmuting these settings musses up the delicate balance of ALSA.  Simply going into alsamixer and muting both settings, the third and sixth columns in my version, fixes the problem.  This website was very helpful in solving the issue: http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/alsa.shtml

   -Van