> > I don't know why you didn't mention setting the XDG_DATA_DIRS variable.
> > It says to do it in the instructions of at least two packages you had
> > to install. You also need to set the LIBGLADE_MODULE_PATH variable.
>
> One thing I've found is that if XDG_..._DIRS are not the default, then
> you should set them before you build GNOME.  I don't know which
> package it is, but it needs to now your setup before you build it or
> it won't know where to look for the menu entries.  I usually set all
> of these variables right at the beginning during Pre-Installation
> Configuration.
>
> It's possible that rebuilding gnome-mime-data with the XDG_...
> variables exported in your build environment will solve your problems.
>  Rebuilding gnome-menus might help, too.

thanks for the hints:

not every export Variable is mentioned before beginning with gnome. They are
mentioned in the sections:

"pre installation configuration":
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/gnome-2.12/bin
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/opt/gnome-2.12/lib/pkgconfig
export GNOME_LIBCONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib:/opt/gnome-2.12/lib

libgnomeui:
export LIBGLADE_MODULE_PATH=$GNOME_PREFIX/lib/libglade/2.0

gnome-menus:
export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/gnome/xdg

libgtop:
export INFOPATH=/usr/share/info:$GNOME_PREFIX/share/info

> I don't know why you didn't mention setting the XDG_DATA_DIRS variable.
I searched the complete section of gnome2 instructions of the blfs-svn book.
There is no mentioning of a variable XDG_DATA_DIRS.

I added everything with export to my /etc/profile and started gnome with gdm.
=> no change

Greetings
Olaf