John Gay wrote:

<snip />

Here is what quake4 says:

dlopen(libasound.so.2)
dlsym("snd_asoundlib_version") failed: /usr/lib/./libasound.so.2: undefined
symbol: snd_asoundlib_version
WARNING: please consider upgrading alsa to a more recent version.
Alsa is available
------ Alsa Sound Initialization -----
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1057:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p failed: Device
or resource busy
snd_pcm_open SND_PCM_STREAM_PLAYBACK 'default' failed: Device or resource busy
dlclose
WARNING: sound subsystem disabled

And here's what I have:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ ls /usr/lib/libasound.*
/usr/lib/libasound.a   /usr/lib/libasound.so    /usr/lib/libasound.so.2.0.0
/usr/lib/libasound.la  /usr/lib/libasound.so.2
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$

Guess it won't work with the version of alsa I have?

<snip />

Actually, I don't think this is a version conflict at all. After all, ever the Q4 complains, it does report that "Alsa is available."

This error message looks similar to many I've got when a program was attempting to directly access an alsa hardware device that was already claimed by something something else, in your case probably ARTs. That's what, IIRC, /dev/dsp is meant to avoid; it provides a *software* mixer that can take input from multiple sources, mix them together, and provide simultaneous output. That's also, IIRC, one of the things ARTs does.

My guess is that you need to tell Quake 4 which device to use for sound output in one of it's configuration files. I'd google Quake 4 and sound if you haven't already.

Also, I don't know from KDE; it's too big, so I don't use it, but when I had similar issues (getting GAIM sounds to play while I listening to music with XMMS), I found this:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ALSA_sound_mixer_aka_dmix

helpful.

Good luck.

-benB